This week as we embarked on the Clean program, I was in search of recipes that were not only delicious, but also fit the program. Gwyneth Paltrow offered up several recipes in her newsletters the last two weeks that meet the program.
We have only tried recipes from the first newsletter (note: GP has since removed the recipes from her site): most were hits (chicken wrap with a little wheat-free soy sauce added, everyday green chopped salad with some grilled chicken added on top, chicken and broccoli stir fry, wild salmon collard wraps, mango cardamom shake with cinnamon in place of cardamom), one was a clear miss (the grasshopper), and one was enjoyed by some and not others (roasted acorn squash with wild rice).
I also searched in my own binder of recipes and uncovered one that fit the bill – Salmon with Warm Lentil Salad from Real Simple Magazine.
– 1 cup green lentils, rinsed (I had some frozen from a previous meal, so I just reheated)
– 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil (I used a full extra tablespoon as we do not own any non-stick cookware)
– 1.25 pounds skinless salmon filet cut into 4 pieces (I halved this part of the recipe as we only needed one meal for two people and salmon is just really better fresh from cooking)
– 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
– 1/4 red onion, chopped (my newly sharpened knives came in handy)
– 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-lead parsley
– 1 bunch arugula, torn (about 4 cups, I just used the pre-washed stuff)
– 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the lentils and 1 teaspoon salt and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tenter, 20 to 25 minutes; drain. (We prefer our lentils very tender and found they needed a bit more time, be sure to test to your taste)
Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the salmon with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook until opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard, onion, parsley, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
Add the lentils and arugula to the vinaigrette and toss to combine. Serve with the salmon and lemon wedges.